Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2019, 11:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Don't forget to sign up with your pirate name so we know who you are!  If we can't figure out who you are, your account will be deleted.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  Friends and Allies Area
| |-+  Pirates in Prayer (Moderators: NutMeg, Michelob, Matahari)
| | |-+  Prayer opportunity - Michelob goes to prison, 2007 Edition - Feb 15-18 2007
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prayer opportunity - Michelob goes to prison, 2007 Edition - Feb 15-18 2007  (Read 629 times)
Michelob

« on: Feb 08, 2007, 03:08 PM »

As some of you may or may not be aware, I have been involved, as a volunteer layperson, in Kairos Prison Ministry for several years now.  Next week, February 15-18 to be exact, I will be serving on a Kairos ministry weekend in the HIV Unit at the local prison.

And what is Kairos?  Well, it's an inter-denominational worldwide ministry that takes the love of God and the light of Christ into prisons.  Similar to the Walk to Emmaus or Cursillo, a team of Christian volunteers become the hands and feet of Christ for 42 residents (inmates) who come seeking a new way of life or, more often, come seeking cookies but find so much more.

Now, I will assume that most people reading this will be too far away to contribute cookies for the weekend, but you can still participate in the ministry by praying.  You can pray for the team members, the participants, the correctional officers, and for all of the residents of Limestone Correctional Facility, that this experience of God's love will truly transform their hearts and lives.  In particular, we need people to pray during the weekend.  If you would be available to pray during a specific half-hour block of time, please sign up in this thread, or send me a PM.

The team will be making a list of everyone who has signed up to pray at specific times throughout the weekend, and this list will be shown to the participants, as a sign that "they are not alone" (only your name will appear on the list -- we're not going to give the inmates your contact info ;)).  In addition, each person who signs up to pray will have their first name written on a link of a construction-paper "prayer chain" that will completely encircle the prison chapel where we will be meeting.  It's quite a sight to see.

The prayer vigil schedule runs around-the-clock during these times

U.S. Pacific Time (GMT-0800)|U.S. Eastern Time (GMT-0500)|Greenwich Mean Time
Thu Feb 15, 2:00pm-2:30pm|Thu Feb 15, 5:00pm-5:30pm|Thu Feb 18, 10:00pm-10:30pm
through
|
through
|
through
Sun Feb 18, 1:30pm-2:00pm|Sun Feb 18, 4:30pm-5:00pm|Sun Feb 18, 9:30pm-10:00pm

Any chance you get to pray for us during the weekend of February 15-18 will be much appreciated.  It is such a wonderful feeling to know that your favorite crewbies and hearties (and even those you don't know so well) are lifting you up in prayer. :)

Thanks, ye'all.
-Mike

Additional links:
:arrow: Forum thread from the HIV Kairos team I served on in 2006.  If you scroll down, it turns into a something like a nightly blog of my experience on the team.

*hic* Hide the rum!  The boozer's back in town!

Matahari

« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2007, 10:57 AM »

Hey guys, I got a text message last night from Michelob. He asked for prayers for James, one of the participants, who had a heart attack Thursday night and is now in the hospital.

"My desire for companionship outweighs my disgust for picking up [poop]."
        ~a comedian on the radio
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »