Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Mar 23, 2019, 05:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Please make sure your e-mail address is up to date. You will lose access to some of your groups if you have an e-mail address that creates server bounces.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  Friends and Allies Area
| |-+  Pirates in Prayer (Moderators: NutMeg, Michelob, Matahari)
| | |-+  Mental Health Thread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mental Health Thread!  (Read 3903 times)
Ladyknight
Senior Officer

« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2007, 02:44 AM »

eugh. i was a cutter for awhile, and a lot of people think that its just for attention reasons. that drives me NUTS. when i did it was something that made me feel like i was getting some sort of release, and i was getting out aggression i couldnt get out elsewhere. of course, there are clearly more productive ways to do this but. anyway. but i know what you mean, every now and again when i have a truly awful day, sometimes i think about going back to that. and then i remember that my fiance told me that for every cut i made on myself, he would make one on himself. and i couldnt bear the thought of him hurting himself, so. i didnt. theres always somebody who cares, even when it doesnt feel like it.

Muroni flag officer chats, "I want a baked potato =("
Lazylubber flag officer chats, "is that a euphemism for another baby?"

You told Nemesis, "CandyGram Ma'am."
Nemesis tells you, "I'm just a dolphin, ma'am.  "Oh, okay then!"  *CHOMP!*"
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2007, 12:15 PM »

eugh. i was a cutter for awhile, and a lot of people think that its just for attention reasons. that drives me NUTS. when i did it was something that made me feel like i was getting some sort of release, and i was getting out aggression i couldnt get out elsewhere. of course, there are clearly more productive ways to do this but. anyway. but i know what you mean, every now and again when i have a truly awful day, sometimes i think about going back to that. and then i remember that my fiance told me that for every cut i made on myself, he would make one on himself. and i couldnt bear the thought of him hurting himself, so. i didnt. theres always somebody who cares, even when it doesnt feel like it.

Drives me absolutely batty too.  I am sure there are people out there w ho do do it for attention, but there are also those people who just plain can't stop themselves.  It was the only way I could make myself feel a little bit better, though it never worked very well or very long.  And it's definitely not something I want to go back to.

On a side note, your fiancÚ's thing is super cool and so supportive.  It seems a weird thing to say, but wow.  I'm impressed by that.  ^_^  He must be a real sweetie.

Tass

Arkhamrose says, "Tass is used to our rowdiness ^_^  She lubs us anyway."
Tacita says, "I like the rowdiness or I wouldn't be here."
Tlia says, "You would have to"
Tacita says, "I live vicariously through the perviness of others."
Matahari

« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2007, 01:01 AM »

for every cut on yourself I'll slash somebody's tires!!

just kidding. I'm puertorrican. I haven't threatened to slash somebody's tires in a while. And this thread needed a joke ;-)

"My desire for companionship outweighs my disgust for picking up [poop]."
        ~a comedian on the radio
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2007, 01:29 AM »

LOL. Yes it did.  Epseically now that I've talked to my doc a nd she mentioned I shouldn't have caffiene.  No booze, and nothing with caffiene?  What the heck am I supposed to do?  I can't even eat chocolate... :-(

Tassi

Lazylubber
Captain

« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2007, 02:14 AM »

Define "a while" Mata--I think as recently as June you were threatening my tires  :wink:

--LL

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken
Matahari

« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2007, 11:36 PM »

more than two days is a while  :smooch:

Tass - I'm supposed to not have caffeine either. It's terrible. FYI, decaf coffee has caffeine... Caffeine free herbal teas don't. Decaffeinated teas do. White chocolate doesn't.

Caffeine makes me severely cranky... but I usually have it anyway because I'm obsessed with chocolate. I should have remembered it makes a difference... Problem with caffeine is that it makes you hyper, then you crash. With me, it happens times ten. Couple that with alcohol and a Kaluah with milk is just about one of the worst things I could have... Guess what I had with dinner tonight?!

Seriously, in my big breakdowns I had to cut out all my caffeine. It sucked, but being unhappy sucks more!!

"My desire for companionship outweighs my disgust for picking up [poop]."
        ~a comedian on the radio
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2007, 12:10 AM »

White chocolate doesn't.

If you were here, you'd get the biggest hug of your life because I totally didn't know this.  And I'm going bonkers.  It's funny...I never thought about wanting chocolate until all of a sudden I can't have it anymore.  But i LOVE white chocolate. 
* Tacita is now even happier

On a side note, today was a real good day, and I was actually really productive for the first time in a long time.   AND I got my slot with the counselor, so no more waiting lists for Tassi.  I can have my first one on the same day I see the psychiatrist, which is 11/16.  I'm happy about it, though I know it's not going to be easy.  But I'll make it.  I know I will.

<3
Tass

Lazylubber
Captain

« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2007, 12:33 AM »

Yes you will  :D

:huggles:

--LL

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken
Ladyknight
Senior Officer

« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2007, 02:42 AM »

i used to work at a chocolate shoppe, and white chocolate isn't actually chocolate at all. it has cocoa butter, but no actual chocolate. i cant eat it, it makes me break out in hives  :x

glad to hear youre feeling better Tass :)

Muroni flag officer chats, "I want a baked potato =("
Lazylubber flag officer chats, "is that a euphemism for another baby?"

You told Nemesis, "CandyGram Ma'am."
Nemesis tells you, "I'm just a dolphin, ma'am.  "Oh, okay then!"  *CHOMP!*"
Rome
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2007, 09:59 AM »

I'm full of resources if you need any help.  Unfortunately most of my stuff has to do with the southern AZ area, but I don't mind doing research and gaining familiarity with other state's system is actually part of my job that I often neglect.

Where I work, it's consumer run, so, that means I have a mental illness too.  I felt that the hardest part is the part you're going through now, accepting it, getting familiar with the system, etc.  Take it slow . . . and there is improvement.  You may not see it right away or even be aware of it at the time-but you may go back and check your journal and see that you handled similar situations much much worse and feel better about yourself.

Definitely keep a journal, even if it's just a melo (kind of like livejournal but less big) that you update once a week.  It is really helpful.

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 2007, 11:29 AM »

I agree that the hardest part is accepting it.  I've had this problem for a really, really long time, and I've only now come to the conclusion that it isn't going to go away if I leave it be.  Being as I don't want to flunk out of grad school and see all my dreams go down the toilet....yeah.  I wasn't ready to see that.  If you'd like to check out stuff in the Illinois area, that'd be cool if you have time, because unfortunately the university system for counseling has a time limit on it.  I should be okay until mid-next semester (and occasionally they let you go longer, but I'm not going to count on it!)

But I can definitely see an improvement already, just with the meds.  I was so productive yesterday, which I haven't been in Lord knows how long.  That felt good, even though I was so exhausted by the end of the day I collapsed by 10pm (Which I haven't done in YEARS).   I'm also glad I decided to tell my parents, although mom's gone all bonkers on me, and has started searching painstakingly through Web MD trying to find things that will help. >_<.  I love her, but man...can anyone say "anal"?  I know I can!

The journal is also a really great idea, I think I may pick one of those up, just for me.  I already have a MySpace blog, but friends'll start to wonder if they're all set as "Private", and I don't really want to have to explain to everyone a nd their mother that I've finally gone off the deep end.  ^_^.

Anyway, muchos thanks for your continued support, everyone.  It's really helping to come in here and see all your great suggestions and huggles and what have you.

Sayonara!
Tassi

Bittersweet
Senior Officer

« Reply #26 on: Nov 08, 2007, 12:24 PM »

Good idea on the journaling - that's what my therapist had recommended. It helped to get all of those thoughts out. Kudos to you for reaching out here, because I think it helps to know that you aren't alone and you have support from your noseless, pixalated peeps.

Giving up caffeine, alcohol and such was probably why I finally stopped seeing my therapist - she became the enemy when she told me I couldn't have beer anymore.  :lol:

Sixinchheels says, "when you're behind like that, about your only option is the go for the holes and hope"

Dotte flag officer chats, "you mean the belaying pin? i have my own opinion on what it looks like, but sure, turkey baster works."
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2007, 12:26 PM »

Welll with me it's the medication.  The pharmacist mentioned alcohol and "severe bleeding" in the same sentence.  That's not something I really want to test for a drink.  Especially since odds are this isn't permanent and i'll be back to "boozin' it up" (read: a drink a week, lol) in to time.

Thanks  I <3 all my "noseless pixelated peeps"!

Tassi

Rome
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2007, 05:53 PM »

http://il.nami.org/

http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx

http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/publications/allpubs/stateresourceguides/Illinois01.asp

Some of that stuff is just stuff you could have found on google yourself, sorry, but your state doesn't seem to have a lot of resources \=  I hope I got at least some stuff you might not find looking for yourself.  I'll ask my boss if she has anything but the obvious stuff that I found. 

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2007, 07:15 PM »

LOL.  I'd have thought they would have had a lot.  You have to be insane to live in Illinois.  (Joking, lol)

Thanks though, Cap'n.  I'll check them out when I'm doing writing these summaries that are due shortly.

Tass

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »