Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Mar 23, 2019, 04:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Please make sure your e-mail address is up to date. You will lose access to some of your groups if you have an e-mail address that creates server bounces.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  Friends and Allies Area
| |-+  Pirates in Prayer (Moderators: NutMeg, Michelob, Matahari)
| | |-+  Mental Health Thread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mental Health Thread!  (Read 3902 times)
Vistr
Senior Officer

« Reply #30 on: Nov 08, 2007, 07:40 PM »

Also note that your local libraries (school and public both) not only likely have stuff, they have people whose job it is to help you find information, called "reference librarians".  If you don't want to go into personal details, classic dodges include "doing a project" and  the eternal favourite "it's for a friend"  (better version, 'trying to understand what my friend is going through').

In addition to books, some libraries have online journal access and such.

Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #31 on: Nov 08, 2007, 09:42 PM »

Being a grad student, I'm well aquainted with reference librarians.  I just...don't have time to let them help me.  It's Week 11 out of 15 and because of everything I'm sorely behind. >_< 

Maybe after the semester's over.

Arkhamrose says, "Tass is used to our rowdiness ^_^  She lubs us anyway."
Tacita says, "I like the rowdiness or I wouldn't be here."
Tlia says, "You would have to"
Tacita says, "I live vicariously through the perviness of others."
Vistr
Senior Officer

« Reply #32 on: Nov 08, 2007, 09:52 PM »

Being a grad student, I'm well aquainted with reference librarians.  I just...don't have time to let them help me.  It's Week 11 out of 15 and because of everything I'm sorely behind. >_< 

I figured, but never hurts to remind.  Some library systems have e-mail reference, too, which is less time-consuming for you in terms of booking time (aince you can look at the reply at leisure).
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #33 on: Nov 16, 2007, 06:05 PM »

Well, I just got back from the psychiatrist, and it's his opinion that I have a panic disorder and some sort of depressive disorder, the name of which I don't remember.  He thinks it's chronic, which means I may have to be on meds for it for the rest of my life.  I'm trying not to freak out about that too, because I really, really, REALLY don't like that idea.  I was hoping it would become something I could take as needed, or be rid of entirely.  I guess with being in my head, I think it is something I can be rid of, but at the same time, he IS the expert and I'm not.

I'm trying not to think about it too much, because really it's just making me panic even more.  Though I have a feeling, if I can just learn how to relax and function, it'll get rid of the depression problems entirely.  But I'm not an easy one to actually relax.  *sigh*

I guess we'll see.  I can't do anything, though it sucks totally lying to my parents.  They don't know about the depression, they think it's pure panic.  But the fact is this is exactly what a good friend of our family has and I know my mom would just absolutely freak if I told the whole truth.  And I really don't want that.

On a side note...he did say that I can drink again, just I really have to watch how much I drink.  Basically, if I'm careful not to have it too close to my meds, and if I nurse one drink in a social occasion, I can do it. Which lets face it, makes me really happy.  Still no caffeine though :-(.

Anyway, I'm off to my first counseling appointment.  Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts everyone.

<3,
Tass

Matahari

« Reply #34 on: Nov 16, 2007, 08:06 PM »

Well don't make yourself even less behind by not taking care of yourself. We need our Tass fix too!!  :huggles:

"My desire for companionship outweighs my disgust for picking up [poop]."
        ~a comedian on the radio
Lazylubber
Captain

« Reply #35 on: Nov 16, 2007, 09:19 PM »

Well don't make yourself even less behind by not taking care of yourself. We need our Tass fix too!!  :huggles:

Some of us more than others  :wink:

Also, I would agree with you that you shouldn't get too fixated on the depression angle--like you said, a good portion of it could be due to the anxiety, and a fair number of people are able to "beat" depression so that they don't need meds--and we know how determined you are to beat this.

Re: the antidepressants and drinking angle--there was a writeup in Slate some months ago about an author who deliberately tried a social anxiety disorder drug (similar to some antidepressants--the same drugs are sometimes used for both) and combined it with alcohol.  The drug made him more prone to binge-type drinking, and it made him totally manic when he did, which fits with other anecdotal reports about that sort of combination.  The danger with the anxiety med combined with alcohol is one is a sedative and the other a depressant, and the risk is that large amounts of alcohol could make your brain forget that you need to breathe--also, your tolerance for alcohol will be decreased somewhat, but sipping at one drink should be ok if you're normally a two drink person.   :D

*hugs*
--LL

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #36 on: Nov 16, 2007, 09:38 PM »

Yeah that's what the doc said.  I have to be really careful not to drink at least two hours or so after I've taken my pills.   and he said that each drink will work like two in my head, so if I have one it's actually two, if I have two it'd equal four, etc.  But he said, like you did, as long as I sip and really nurse it, I'll be all right.  Which is good.  It's not like I'm a huge drinker anyway.

Ladyknight
Senior Officer

« Reply #37 on: Nov 17, 2007, 12:59 AM »

I could be totally wrong, because I don't know your family obv. but...I think even if your parents are prone to flip-outage, it's still best to clue them in on what's happening. They may over-worry at first, but I think they'll A. feel better that they know what's going on with you, and B. have more respect that you just flat out told them. and maybe even C!. be able to help in some way.

When I was having lots of problems, I didn't want my parents to worry, and when I finally told them, my mom flew out to see me and helped me to get some things sorted out. Yes, she may have fussed a little, but it's only because they genuinely care and want what's best for you, and to see you healthy...so. It might be a difficult conversation to have, but I think a worthwhile one.

Muroni flag officer chats, "I want a baked potato =("
Lazylubber flag officer chats, "is that a euphemism for another baby?"

You told Nemesis, "CandyGram Ma'am."
Nemesis tells you, "I'm just a dolphin, ma'am.  "Oh, okay then!"  *CHOMP!*"
ArkhamRose
Fleet Officer

« Reply #38 on: Nov 17, 2007, 01:05 AM »

*pokes her nose in*

I have to agree with Vinyl.   From what you said, your family is a very loving one, and whatever kittens your parents might have when you first tell them, is really the "ZOMG, my baby needs me, what can I do?!"  panic-button that most parents have with news like that.   They love you, they worry, they'll want to help.  And they'd much prefer you tell them than keep secrets from them.

Ďa! Ďa! Cthulhu Fhtagn!
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #39 on: Nov 17, 2007, 02:47 AM »

And they know half of it ^_^.  I just...my mom is prone to anxiety like me, and man...I just really don't think it's wise to mention the whole thing.  Especially at a point where my dad's basically unemployed and mom's freaking out anyway.  Especially since the person with the same thing as me ended up hospitalized and having to have shock treatments >_<.  They know there's a problem, they just know only half of it.  And maybe it's not the wisest thing to do but it's the best I think.  From past experience, they don't know how to handle it anyway.

Go figure I guess.

jenllip
Fleet Officer

« Reply #40 on: Nov 17, 2007, 03:22 PM »

Don't get too hung up on the "eek my neighbor has the same diagnosis and is nuts" thing. The way psychology works is you just need to have x of y symptoms for z period of time (or frequency) to be assigned a diagnosis. That's a lot of slack. Psychology isn't like general medical conditions. It's not like lyme disease where EVERYONE gets a target rash. For something like depression, some people get some symptoms and are able to manage others, and it presents in other people in completely different ways. Your aversion to medication will help you more than you realize. You may be more motivated in ways that another person with the same technical diagnosis is not.

I hope I'm making sense. My point is, don't be too scared of being 'diagnosed.' It's not a life sentence. It's just shorthand for describing the way your symptoms hang together.

On a personal note, I feel like sharing too. Just because. Earlier this week I went into my campus health center to speak with a counselor "asap" due to the stress/anxiety I've been under lately at the end of the semester. Having been out of regular therapy since June when my therapist had to close her practice due to medical reasons, I guess stuff kinda snuck up on me. So, this guy on campus assessed my condition (along with history, etc) and said that I probably should be back on meds (I've been off for almost two years after being on them throughout most of my adolescence) and should be in ongoing therapy, but since I'm so aware of myself and my condition, it's really up to me. He said that the anxiety being caused by this semester was probably preventing me from managing my depression normally, so it was kicking up. However, were I to start meds TODAY, they wouldn't work for 2-3 weeks. When is the end of the semester? 3 weeks. So I've decided to chalk it up to stress for now and somehow try to just pull myself through the end of the semester, and then see if I still can't manage my depression once the stress has been removed. It was a major blow to hear "you're not managing, you need to be back on meds." But, we'll see.

::hugs:: You're definitely doing the right thing by coming here to talk to us about what's going on with you, especially if you don't want to involve your parents. Not only do you get our support, but by explaining to us what's going on, you help yourself understand it too.  ::more hugs::
Bittersweet
Senior Officer

« Reply #41 on: Nov 17, 2007, 04:45 PM »

::hugs:: for Tassi and Jen. You are both doing the right thing by getting the meds and trying to get through this stressful time with a little bit of help. Better living through chemistry, friendship and support is better than crawling under the covers and giving up.

Sixinchheels says, "when you're behind like that, about your only option is the go for the holes and hope"

Dotte flag officer chats, "you mean the belaying pin? i have my own opinion on what it looks like, but sure, turkey baster works."
Matahari

« Reply #42 on: Nov 17, 2007, 09:07 PM »

depends who you crawl under the covers with... *wiggles eyebrows*

:huggles: for everybody!!

"My desire for companionship outweighs my disgust for picking up [poop]."
        ~a comedian on the radio
Lazylubber
Captain

« Reply #43 on: Nov 17, 2007, 10:06 PM »

Mata, she said "giving up", not "giving it up"  :gropes

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken
Muroni
Senior Officer

« Reply #44 on: Nov 17, 2007, 11:49 PM »

lyme disease was a bad example =P  Not everybody does get the target rash, you can have false negatives and false positives fairly often, and NO medical agency agrees with what the symptoms are or how long to expect to deal with it.  Haha, maybe psychology is EXACTLY like lyme disease...

(So yeah, I lost a great aunt and a friend in the army to late diagnosis of lyme.  my son was diagnosed a few summers ago when his knee inexplicably swelled up and it just didn't look like an injury to me, it didn't feel muscular, but fluidy, so I took him in.  Later on, the Center for Disease Control followed up with me and stated unequivocably that as long as he took his medicine until it was completely gone, that lyme is completely killed and NOT something you have forever.  However the doctor treating him on post had lyme disease herself and said that you DO keep it forever, and to always be vigalent for flareups requiring retreatement...like she does.  Neither doctor could agree on exactly what symptoms I might should be vigalent for, haha, a lot of generalized stuff).

Rambling ++  Isn't that EXACTLY like mental health?

The Vampire Muroni :muroni:
Anonymous: all sneaking around and such
Anonymous: made it taste better?
Anonymous: like some stuff tastes better when you are sneaky
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »