Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2019, 11:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Don't forget to sign up with your pirate name so we know who you are!  If we can't figure out who you are, your account will be deleted.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  Friends and Allies Area
| |-+  Pirates in Prayer (Moderators: NutMeg, Michelob, Matahari)
| | |-+  Mental Health Thread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mental Health Thread!  (Read 4023 times)
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #60 on: Feb 08, 2008, 01:51 PM »

Thanks mates ^_^.  I managed to get an appointment with the psychiatrist today, so we'll see what he says.  I'm really lucky they had appointments, seriously.

Thank goodness.  Will edit this postie when I figure it out.  ^_^

<3
Tassi

Arkhamrose says, "Tass is used to our rowdiness ^_^  She lubs us anyway."
Tacita says, "I like the rowdiness or I wouldn't be here."
Tlia says, "You would have to"
Tacita says, "I live vicariously through the perviness of others."
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #61 on: Nov 10, 2008, 01:41 PM »

Nine month bump.  Whoops.  But I wanted to ask advice/opinions, as I'm kind of torn on what I should do.

I'm still in treatment, this year with psychological services instead of counseling (which I'm thinking will do more to change my problematic behaviors) and still the psychiatrist.  The trouble is that while I'm working on it, I'm still having trouble motivating myself to get my work done out of fear of failure.  Go me! >_<.  I am taking two classes this semester with a professor I really respect, and I think he is understanding.

This is the second time I'm not going to have enough work done that he wanted.  I don't want special treatment or extended deadlines, but I'm wondering if it would be wise to tell him what's going on so that he doesn't think I'm blowing this off on purpose or not taking it seriously.  I am, there are just days where I literally feel paralyzed from doing anything, which does not lend itself well to getting things done.  But I don't want him to think I'm angling for pity either.  It is what it is, I'm working on it, and I don't really want anyone feeling sorry for me or think I'm using this as an excuse.  I think most of the problem comes from the fear he's going to think I'm just BSing something, that its not really a problem that should affect my work like a "real" physical illness would.

There are days I'd almost rather I had a "real" physical illness, then there'd be no question about any of this.  Anyway, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

<3
Tass

Arkhamrose says, "Tass is used to our rowdiness ^_^  She lubs us anyway."
Tacita says, "I like the rowdiness or I wouldn't be here."
Tlia says, "You would have to"
Tacita says, "I live vicariously through the perviness of others."
Lazylubber
Captain

« Reply #62 on: Nov 11, 2008, 02:24 AM »

Knowing you, if you respect him, he's someone you can probably go to with this.  I'd tell him more or less what you have posted here--it is what it is, and you're working on it.  If he's been teaching for any length of time, I doubt you'll be the first student to have to go to him with an issue like this.  And you can always find me on a bad day if you want--if I'm not at work, I'll talk or get back to you as soon as I can.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken
Matahari

« Reply #63 on: Nov 12, 2008, 12:14 AM »

I'm with Lazy. Let him know what is going on. If you don't want pity, try to avoid turning on the tears. Just let him know. You might want to consider providing a 'doctor's note' confirming that you are being treated so that he knows you aren't BSing. Just go with your no nonsense attitude and you should be fine. The benefit is that you'll at least have a professor who respects you for working on what you feel are your weaknesses. If it's a professor you like, and you intend to take additional classes with him - specially classes that might require subjective grades, like for class participation or attendance - making sure the teacher knows what is going on will be good for you.

my two cents. tons of hugs for you Tass!! I'd offer that you could talk to me too, but I'm pretty sure I don't know you well enough that you'd feel comfortable. :-)  But hey! If you ever do, then I'm here!!  :puppy:

"My desire for companionship outweighs my disgust for picking up [poop]."
        ~a comedian on the radio
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »