Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jan 17, 2019, 01:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Please make sure your e-mail address is up to date. You will lose access to some of your groups if you have an e-mail address that creates server bounces.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  General Area
| |-+  Tips & Tricks (Moderator: Mistymate)
| | |-+  Swordfighting 101
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Swordfighting 101  (Read 1052 times)
Fara
Visitor

« on: Aug 15, 2008, 11:46 PM »

I know that there have been tutorials before, but I'm going to give you some screenshots and examples of what I think are rather safe builds that protect your breakers and also translate how those strikes would appear on your opponents screen.  I try my best to build strikes that do not waste, and these are good examples of how to build without wasting as well.

*Note* I'm a space bar slammer - so I never stop moving pieces at full speed.  Until you've had enough practice with these builds, I would go a little smaller until you're used to the logistics of it all.

Example 1: The Donkey

In this picture here you can see that I have buried 2 breakers under the 3x2 solid, which protects them from side breakers.  On top of the 2/3 colums I have built a 2x3 and a 2x2, while in the 4th column I have stacked the same color of the 3x2 straight up.  With the breakers I have created a double onto the 3x2, tripling onto the 2x3, and donkey onto the 2x2 (with some sprinklies mixed into each part of the combination). 

Translation: This combination, when sent to your opponent will hit them with a screenwide horizontal sword(double), a 2x9 vertical sword(triple), and a 2x10 vertical sword(donkey), with approximately a row to a row and a half of sprinkles covering in the gaps.  This is a very effective starting attack with just about any sword (sans the stick and foil) because the horizontal will help to offset the sprinkles that you send, and it makes for a very nasty mess to clean up if you are using a Scimitar or Falchion.

Example 2: Triple with Donkeyed sprinkles

The attack that I have built here is similar to Example 1, although instead of covering my buried breakers with a 3x2 I have simply placed them under a row of red.  In columns 2/3 I have built a pair of 2x3ís matching the buried breakers.  In column 4 I built the red row straight up in a column with an accidental 2x2.  This limited my ability to build a greater combo, because I donít want to send 3 two wide verticals, because that causes waste with opening attacks.  (*Note* When opening with 2 wide verticals the first one will either fall in 2/3 or 5/6 and the second in the other, so sending 3 off the bat has a great probability of wasting. Sending the 1x4 instead greatly reduces the chance of waste)

Translation:  This combination will send your opponent a 1x4(singled), a 2x6(double), a 2x9(triple) and the blue breaker on top will hit the blue pieces off to the left to donkey some sprinkles. The sprinkles here should total about 2 to 2 and a half rows.  This attack is very effective but leaves some room for your opponent to maneuver at the top, so be sure to follow it in short order with another small combo.

Example 3: How to breaker stack to multiply your combo further.

This attack is built later in the game, but it shows something that I think would greatly help anyone trying to find the elusive vegas.  I am not going to translate this attack, but I want you to pay attention to my build in column 4.  Had I not accidentally created the red 2x2 in the previous example, I could have positioned my breakers like this to create a triple onto the first section of the break, which would have then donkeyed onto the first 2x3 and vegassed onto the second 2x3, and hit a double vegas onto the blue sprinklies at the end.  Which would have made that attack quite lethal.  The attack then would have been a 2x12 and a 2x15 with about 4 rows of sprinkles.  Basically pinning the opponent to the very last space they have to maneuver.

If you have any questions or want any advice, I'm going to still be around to offer that while we wait for everything else to hopefully get sorted out.  Please feel free to post anything(nice that is)

All screenshots are welcome if you want them translated for you, I would gladly do that to let you know just how hard you are hitting your opponent.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 11:49 PM by Fara » Logged

"Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."
Rome
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2008, 11:54 PM »

That is great work, I really appreciate it.

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Dacheat
Senior Officer

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2008, 01:37 AM »

These seem like pretty unrealistic starting combos mostly due to shier size.  Putting breakers under the blocks is an interesting concept I've heard of but never really tried. In some cases, it can save you against incoming swords. However if the fist step in the combo get wrecked it leaves the breakers hidden and difficult if not impossible to get to.

This is my Ideal starting combo, and I usually make some variant of it to start with.

Kassia says, "Not surprisingly, the foul miscreants are terrified of Dacheat - Scourge of the Ocean!"
Fara
Visitor

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2008, 12:42 AM »

unrealistic starting combos mostly due to shier size.

And then you post that

Bittersweet
Senior Officer

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2008, 03:22 AM »

no kidding ... gah the spelling Dacheat  :whip: it's SHEER!

and gorgeous stacking Fara

Sixinchheels says, "when you're behind like that, about your only option is the go for the holes and hope"

Dotte flag officer chats, "you mean the belaying pin? i have my own opinion on what it looks like, but sure, turkey baster works."
Dacheat
Senior Officer

« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2008, 03:22 PM »

unrealistic starting combos mostly due to shier size.

And then you post that
That's an example of the type of breaker stacking I like to use. My typical starting combo would look something like this.  I did three consecutive fights and here are the starting attacks for them all.

Kassia says, "Not surprisingly, the foul miscreants are terrified of Dacheat - Scourge of the Ocean!"
Fara
Visitor

« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2008, 05:40 PM »

Those are pretty.  I myself always end up cathing a high horizontal when I try that but it's effective if you have the speed.  And having played you... you have it

gummyworm
Royalty

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2008, 12:02 AM »

ROFL  That is pretty much all I have on my side....speed....I can sometimes get nice vegas' but they really are not through great planning efforts, i just build fast, and high, stacking things randomly with a matching breaker just slightly off and try to break something in the middle to cause a chain reaction.  I tried doing the buried breaker thing and it just made my head hurt.

Thank you fara for posting, those are quite helpful!  Same to you Cheaters...<3!

Tawnee is proud to be a drama queen!
Dacheat
Senior Officer

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2008, 05:39 AM »

Lost of people don't know this but a 3x2, 4x2, 5x2, 6x2 (horizontal block) multiplied to 12x2 will switch vertically. So the first attack will come out as a 2x9 and a 2x12 rather than a horizontal and a vertical. The second attack will strike as a 15x2, or a full length sword.

gummyworm
Royalty

« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2008, 01:10 PM »

oooh cool, did not know that!  Thank ye

Tawnee is proud to be a drama queen!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »