Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Mar 23, 2019, 05:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Please make sure your e-mail address is up to date. You will lose access to some of your groups if you have an e-mail address that creates server bounces.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  General Area
| |-+  Kraken's Belly
| | |-+  Computer Problem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer Problem  (Read 3815 times)
Grimes
Senior Officer

« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2009, 07:16 PM »

A tech-savvy friend of mine is in town, so we took a deeper look. Crashing definitely correlates with increased temperatures. However, the computer doesn't physically feel nearly as hot as the temperatures claim. I've been around computers giving off much more heat before. That's not to say it's not hot, but we feel like it should be giving off more based on what the internal thermometers read.

Since we're pretty stumped (and avoiding the expensive professional repair route for as long as possible), the first step we might try is replacing/upgrading the RAM. Since I have a fairly rare and outdated RAM setup, I'm gonna have to order online. Total it will run around $35. Is this even worth trying? Should I just bite the bullet and take it in to the shop?

I miss PP.  ::cry

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Churchill
Parka
Captain

« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2009, 07:42 PM »

Poor Grimo, no foraging for you.

Vega-Carpenter of PotD
majestrate
Senior Officers

« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2009, 02:17 AM »

*shrugs*  It never hurts to upgrade parts.  But the amount of heat you're going to feel coming out of the box isn't going to be anywhere near what the CPU is giving off.  I mean, go into a closet, light a lighter (or match), does the entire closet heat up?

The CPU heat can come from over-clocking, a bad/broken heatsink, or an issue with the thermal grease.  I think marss' suggestion is the first thing to do, at a minimum.  If you can afford to get a new heatsink, I'd add that in too.

Also, be sure to get RAM with a heat-spreader, that should help you out some too.
Crispix
Senior Officer

« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2009, 02:26 AM »

But the amount of heat you're going to feel coming out of the box isn't going to be anywhere near what the CPU is giving off.

I can attest to that.  I had an overheating CPU once and I couldn't feel any heat at all, but when I removed the heat sink I found degraded thermal paste and a hot CPU.  I also had one time when my internal thermometer was reading about 50 deg too much and I couldn't feel any heat.  Then I touched one of the heat sinks and burned my finger.  Turns out I installed an IED cable upside down.  That was the last day I had a floppy drive.
rebootkid
Cool Email Group

« Reply #19 on: Apr 11, 2009, 02:36 AM »

Babydolls pointed me at this thread, and suggested I get registered.
(See what happens when you tell people you work in IT?)

Anyways, if you're sure it's a heat related issue, there is much you can do.
The suggestions of cleaning off the CPU, putting in new thermal paste, and putting on a new heatsink/fan combo is a good one.
I would take it one step further, and would blow out/replace the PSU fan, as well as the intake and exhaust fans if you have them. If you don't, you might want to consider adding them.
I could not tell from the picture if you have a fan on your video card, but if you do, a good blow-out of that would be a good idea.
Generally speaking, anything you can do to lower the temperature inside the case will cause the temp on your CPU to go lower.

Additionally, I'm going to suggest you go get a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD.
http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/
There are a number of useful tools on that CD which can tell you if you've got hardware problems.
CPU Burn in as well as Memtest86+ come to mind.
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE HARD DRIVE TESTS. YOU CAN DESTROY DATA.
Run the tests, see where they crash, (if they crash) and it will tell you if you've got hardware problems.

Lastly, while upgrading memory wont hurt you, if you have correlation between heat and crashing, it probably won't do you any good, and will only complicate things. I would suggest that if you want to upgrade your RAM, that you wait until you've got the crashing problem resolved first.

p.s. If you really get stuck in getting things work, there are cheating ways you can help yourself out in the short term. Leaving the case open with a desk fan blowing inside will buy you time. It's not something I recommend you do long term because it disrupts the recommended air flow from the manufacturer, but sometimes all you need is a few more hours of run time. Catch me online if you've got specific questions, or shoot me an email at Rebootkid@coldsteelpirates.org
Fyre
Senior Officer

« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2009, 06:10 PM »

(I know youu...)

laura / fyre / fyrefaerie / chicgeek
Senior Officer of Pirates of the Damned
laurakishimoto.ca
@chicgeek on twitter
Grimes
Senior Officer

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 01:00 PM »

An update for everyone, computer is still out of commission. Had to put it aside due to school work, but I'll be replacing parts soon and hopefully all will be well.

I got one of those nifty Target Three Rings cards for my birthday, so everyone gets subjected to three months of subscribed me soon. Hooray!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Churchill
Fannon
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 05:19 PM »

I got one of those nifty Target Three Rings cards for my birthday, so everyone gets subjected to three months of subscribed me soon. Hooray!

Yay! I never did get a chance to tease you mercilessly about my Longhorns beating your Buckeyes. :P

Shuranthae says, "I swear, if only there were the crew title "Slave Driver."

Shuranthae says, "Yeah, that's what I'd expect from a Wynd. Our bloodthirstyness is only matched by our laziness and lack of enthusiasm.
Grimes
Senior Officer

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 02:09 PM »

:heart

It's okay, I deserve that for being such a little annoying hellion way back when.

Grimes
Senior Officer

« Reply #24 on: Jun 05, 2009, 04:52 PM »

Finally successfully replaced the CPU fan and the heatsink/thermal paste. That didn't fix it.

Next thing I guess I'll try is replacing the RAM. Any other suggestions?

Yearbook
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: Jun 05, 2009, 04:58 PM »

Any other suggestions?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=abcat0501000&type=category

mistymate says:  I'm all hot and sweaty and going to blame you.

Yearbook officer chats, "woot! i like drunk men"
Crispix officer chats, "so do I"
Rome
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: Jun 05, 2009, 08:24 PM »

Babydolls pointed me at this thread, and suggested I get registered.
(See what happens when you tell people you work in IT?)

Anyways, if you're sure it's a heat related issue, there is much you can do.
The suggestions of cleaning off the CPU, putting in new thermal paste, and putting on a new heatsink/fan combo is a good one.
I would take it one step further, and would blow out/replace the PSU fan, as well as the intake and exhaust fans if you have them. If you don't, you might want to consider adding them.
I could not tell from the picture if you have a fan on your video card, but if you do, a good blow-out of that would be a good idea.
Generally speaking, anything you can do to lower the temperature inside the case will cause the temp on your CPU to go lower.

Additionally, I'm going to suggest you go get a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD.
http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/
There are a number of useful tools on that CD which can tell you if you've got hardware problems.
CPU Burn in as well as Memtest86+ come to mind.
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE HARD DRIVE TESTS. YOU CAN DESTROY DATA.
Run the tests, see where they crash, (if they crash) and it will tell you if you've got hardware problems.

Lastly, while upgrading memory wont hurt you, if you have correlation between heat and crashing, it probably won't do you any good, and will only complicate things. I would suggest that if you want to upgrade your RAM, that you wait until you've got the crashing problem resolved first.

p.s. If you really get stuck in getting things work, there are cheating ways you can help yourself out in the short term. Leaving the case open with a desk fan blowing inside will buy you time. It's not something I recommend you do long term because it disrupts the recommended air flow from the manufacturer, but sometimes all you need is a few more hours of run time. Catch me online if you've got specific questions, or shoot me an email at Rebootkid@coldsteelpirates.org

Just noticed this, thanks for this information, very helpful.

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Fyre
Senior Officer

« Reply #27 on: Jun 21, 2009, 10:58 AM »

This morning I opened up my laptop to find a black screen.

My screen has been "warming up" with a pink tinge - I Googled the problem and forecast a FL inverter failure a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't think it would cease to function this soon.  I can *see* things on my screen, but the lights are out, if you know what I mean..

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite A100-TA9.  I'm doing my best to look for a spare part and instructions on how to  replace it myself (I am on the strictest of budgets...) but any help or advice from someone who might know about laptop hardware would be helpful!

By slowly surfing the web on my ipod touch I think I discovered that this is what I need, but I would greatly appreciate a techie to confirm it before I spend that money.  I would do more myself if I could, but iPod searching  is extremely laborious and I'm currently squinting at my vary-dark laptop screen.:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-TOSHIBA-Satellite-A100-A105-M40-M115-LCD-INVERTER_W0QQitemZ180360734101QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL?hash=item29fe566595&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

If my memory serves me, I *think* the a105 series is very close to the A100 series.... but I can't check with any ease.  I found his guide to help me with the disassembly, but I don't think it gives any specific part numbers for my model of laptop:
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A105/remove-replace-LCD-screen-1.htm

Any more advice would be so so so helpful.  *cry*  I'll try my best to check back here (*squint squint*) though you can email me at laura.kishimoto@gmail.com if you're feeling particularly helpful...

*sniffle*

laurakishimoto.ca
@chicgeek on twitter
Fyre
Senior Officer

« Reply #28 on: Jun 24, 2009, 06:52 PM »

Thanks for the help.  *cough*

Anyway... I ordered the part and should be up and running as soon as it arrives.

laurakishimoto.ca
@chicgeek on twitter
majestrate
Senior Officers

« Reply #29 on: Jun 24, 2009, 11:17 PM »

Sorry, I've never attempted to repair a laptop.  Since mine is provided by work, it's always under warranty (gets replaced when it's out of warranty).  :-/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »