Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 17, 2019, 01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Don't forget to sign up with your pirate name so we know who you are!  If we can't figure out who you are, your account will be deleted.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  General Area
| |-+  Tips & Tricks (Moderator: Mistymate)
| | |-+  The Pirate's manifesto -- making (and accumulating) money
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pirate's manifesto -- making (and accumulating) money  (Read 948 times)
Vistr
Senior Officer

« on: Jul 22, 2009, 07:20 PM »

A pirate's guide to acquiring loot.

Note that you should feel free to ignore 'more profitable' activity in favor of things you enjoy doing more.  This is a guide as to the different ways you can accumulate cash if you wish, not a manifesto that your pirate lives must be lived by.

Shop jobs.  Each subscribed account gets 24 hours of labor every day.  Using your labor is like 'free income'; if you take a job, shops will use your labor hours 'offscreen', paying you PoE.
  Shops without puzzles (Tailors, weavers and furnishers) generate the level of labor randomly.  Shops with puzzles (Shipwrights, Apothecaries, Distilleries, and Ironmongers) generate the level of 'casual labor' you produce based on your skill rank; for direct labor (when puzzling in the shop) it uses your performance in that individual puzzle.  Shops with puzzles require you to puzzle every so often to maintain your labor (once a week is plenty); you may wish to puzzle more early on to increase your rank and generate better paying offline labor.

You can have up to three jobs per character; choosing which job(s) to take takes into play two main considerations: How much labor will be used, and what you will be paid for it.   You can track how much of your labor the shops are using over time from your info sheet (on the Ye tab); if you're consistently having labor go unused, get a new job.

Warning: Beware of jobs with an unusually high pay of expert labor (the worst examples are 1/1/500, but there can be others).  Often, this is a scam where the shop only uses the lower pay rates.

The flag has a great many shops, which pay decent to very good wages, depending on the type of labour used.

Unsubscribed pirates do not generate offline labor, but can use direct labor to produce crafting labor by playing the puzzles on free days, which vary by puzzle.

"Jobbing".  Sailing for your crew, or with other crews.  This can be broken down into separate categories:

Good general rules: Be polite, be helpful, try your best, be willing to learn and improve.   If there's someone not in your crew you enjoy jobbing with, do ask to hearty them so they'll know you're online when they're loading a trip.  Try not to leave during battles (if it's an emergency, people will understand, though it will help if you explain it of time allows).  

Pillaging:   Aside from learning (besides your crew) who is good to job for, the main things that can help your income are to become good at at least one duty puzzle (often, one is enough, though you are always encouraged to try new things), learning how to team in swordfight/rumble (which helps you win more sea battles after grappling), and getting better at the rumble and SF puzzles.

Blockades:  With blockade jobbing, you can more accurately see what your time s worth, roughly.  Blockade rounds have five segments;  if a flag in a blockade is paying 200/segment, you'll probably earn around 1,000 PoE in the 50 minutes of the blockade round.  If the pay is set at Performance or Elite, you can earn significantly more (or less) based on the quality of your puzzling (based on rank only, not tokens produced).  Some blockades have raffles; these can have nice prizes, but more often work out as a fundraiser, or a way to return pay if you were jobbing for other reasons.

BK Blockades: As regular blockades, but pay is supplemented by Treasure hauling.

Flotillas: Good runs pay well.  Good runs against sinking flotillas pay *extremely* well.  Note that 'loading times' can be a concern.  Ships can sometimes take an hour to fill or longer (time spent sitting in port recruiting players to come on the voyage).  Trips tend to be longer.

Trading runs: As a jobber on trading runs, what you want to look for is a high rate of pay per league.  A rate of 10 PoE/league is roughly equivalent to navy pay.  Note that pay varies somewhat from the listed amount based on your performance.  

Foraging: Because this uses your labor hours, this almost never pays well enough to beat out shop jobs.

Atlantis : Subscriber only.  Listed on the notice board under Sea Monster Hunts; distinguishable from CI by the name of the place being explored ("Abandoned", "Lost" or "Sunken" places are typical).  Pay is decent, but supplemented by random items (sometimes high value, but often trinkets or old weapons/bludgeons/mugs/clothes).  Has the same loading time issues as Flotillas.  Trips tend to be longer.  Because Atlantis is a sinking environment, and much of the pay is from "treasure chests", much of your pay is dependent on the voyage returning to port.

Cursed Isles (CI): Subscriber only.  Listed on the notice board under Sea Monster Hunts; distinguishable from Atlantis by the name of the place being explored ("Fear" "Terror" or "Eerie" places are typical).  Pay is decently good, supplemented with random items (similar to Atlantis, but a different selection).  Trips typically take 60-90 minutes, sometimes longer for runs that  capture 'thralls'.  Because The Cursed isles is a sinking environment, and all of the pay is from "treasure chests", your pay is dependent on the voyage returning to port.  Because of the small ship sizes, jobbing can be somewhat exclusive at times, looking for people that fight and puzzle well ; several people in the flag will do runs to at least make sure everyone has a chance to get a taste of it.

Running voyages:
[Placeholder]

Parlor games/gambling. Again, some different aspects.
Free tourneys: Often posted by the OMs, but sometimes by players.  There's no cost to play, so you should always feel free to join if you feel like it.  As you get better at the specific games, your returns will improve.

Table games and entry fee tourneys:  The standard gambling rule applies: never bet the rent money.  Also, be warned that bets that look too good to be true (an able betting 100K on a swordfight) usually are.  You should also avoid "chasing" (betting more, and more recklessly, to win back losses).

Saving:
You can also accumulate money on the other end: by not spending it.

Storage furniture.  If you like having multiple outfits, a wardrobe is worth its weight in gold; for some players, sword racks or bludgeon trunks can do the same.
PoE chests  These serve a different function.  By leaving your money in a storage chest, as opposed to on your pirate, you add a buffer of time where you have to think about spending it.
Watching your spending.  This means a few things.  1) Comparison shop.  2) Ask (here, for example) if there are crew or flag deals available.  3) Make sure you want what you're looking at.
Freebies  Don't beg, or expect freebies, from the flag, but if you are looking for specific things you can make a forum post letting people know what you're working towards getting, in case someone has spares they'll part with for less than retail (or wants to trade for something you have extra of).   Just like in real life, people will be more willing to help those who they see helping others, and less willing to help those who only ask and never offer.

Feel free to ask questions, add your own tips, or what have you.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2009, 06:58 AM by Vistr » Logged
Fyre
Senior Officer

« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2009, 08:36 PM »

Please add furnisher to stalls and shops not requiring puzzling.  (And tell them to take a job at my stall. :D)

Lampirella on Xi needs labor too!
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2009, 01:40 AM by Fannon » Logged

laura / fyre / fyrefaerie / chicgeek
Senior Officer of Pirates of the Damned
laurakishimoto.ca
@chicgeek on twitter
Vistr
Senior Officer

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2009, 08:42 PM »

Please add furnisher to stalls and shops not requiring puzzling.  (And tell them to take a job at my stall. :D)

Heh, if I was going to send people places, I have five shops myself :-)

Updated.
Fyre
Senior Officer

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:14 PM »

I know.  I was joshing. ;)  Any mod-type, feel free to clean up the soiling I caused with replies to this. ;)

Also, very very good guide, V!

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2009, 01:41 AM by Fannon » Logged

laura / fyre / fyrefaerie / chicgeek
Senior Officer of Pirates of the Damned
laurakishimoto.ca
@chicgeek on twitter
Lazylubber
Captain

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2009, 02:21 AM »

I know.  I was joshing. ;)  Any mod-type, feel free to clean up the soiling I caused with replies to this. ;)

Also, very very good guide, V!

*snickers at Fannon*

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken
sandwitch
Senior Officer

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2009, 02:36 AM »

I think you should mention that both Atlantis and CI are under the same heading (SMH) on the Notice Board and provide some basis to quickly tell one from the other.  For example, Atlantis may contain names like "Abandoned", "Lost" or "Sunken" and CI may contain names like "Fear" "Terror" or "Eerie".  Possibly even list the links to the list of known names in the YPPedia for each.  I find that many seasoned players cannot tell the difference based on the name on the map.

Overall, very well done Vistr. Kudos!

Sammy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »