Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jun 18, 2019, 11:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Don't forget to sign up with your pirate name so we know who you are!  If we can't figure out who you are, your account will be deleted.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  General Area
| |-+  Forum Discussion (Moderator: Rome)
| | |-+  SMF 2.0 Problems, Discussion, Etc, Etc
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Best Soda Part 2  (Voting closed: Aug 21, 2009, 09:54 AM)
Pepsi - 3 (12%)
Coke - 4 (16%)
Sprite - 2 (8%)
Orange - 1 (4%)
Dr. Pepper - 5 (20%)
Mountain Dew - 3 (12%)
I hate soda - 2 (8%)
7-Up - 2 (8%)
Other - 3 (12%)
Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply bookmerk Print
Author Topic: SMF 2.0 Problems, Discussion, Etc, Etc  (Read 4150 times)
Rome
Administrator

« on: Aug 11, 2009, 06:35 AM »

Post any issues you are having with the new forum here.

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Rome
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2009, 06:42 AM »

Basically, I went ahead and went forward with this because we were going to have to ultimately do it eventually anyway, and I had the time so I figured it was better now than never.

There are several updates and new features to this software and I'm not exactly sure how they'll work.  Please report anything weird to me.   I especially want the moderators to play around with the moderator tools just to get a feel for them, because this could potentially save us a lot of time.  If anyone wants to volunteer to be someone who we can report to test the reporting feature, also speak up.  We've never really had very much hostile activity here but hey it's good to have in a pinch.

I plan on using the next few days to completely rebuild our old theme, which is still safely sitting backed up on like 3 different computers.    However, I am at least slightly interested in allowing members to choose an all-new theme since we've been using the other one for 3-4 years.  I want to keep that one on as an option, but if there are any creative forum designers out there who want to create an alternative, I think it would be welcome.  Since this version of SMF has most of the stuff we had mods for before built in, we can more safely offer users a choice for what theme they want to use.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009, 07:12 AM by Rome » Logged

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Rome2
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2009, 07:05 AM »

Also another note: because one of the issues I encountered while upgrading was login related, I have, at least temporarily, left this board open to posts by anyone, even guests.  I have silly picture verification and all that jazz (and all posters will have to face a challenge on their first post, and each PM they send until 5 posts), but I implore you, if you see anything weird, hit the notify button!
Longstride
Senior Officer

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:13 AM »

Uploading an image to the Hoist the Colors thread, I received this error:

An Error Has Occurred!
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Sorry things didn't go smoothly, Rome. Thanks for keeping us upgraded.

Longstride
First Mate of The Cartographers

Digital Pillage with DJ Longstride - Mondays 7-9 AM CDT on WRVU, 91.1 FM, Nashville
Envy
Fleet Officer

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:49 AM »

Test

It's not easy being beautiful.
Rome
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:51 AM »

Uploading an image to the Hoist the Colors thread, I received this error:

An Error Has Occurred!
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

Sorry things didn't go smoothly, Rome. Thanks for keeping us upgraded.

No worries.  I forgot to set that folder up correctly.  Thanks for the heads up, it should work now.  Hey everyone report Envy above please.

Fannon
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:52 AM »

You should put the old theme on first so my heart stops hurting, then we'll figure out a new one. :P

Shuranthae says, "I swear, if only there were the crew title "Slave Driver."

Shuranthae says, "Yeah, that's what I'd expect from a Wynd. Our bloodthirstyness is only matched by our laziness and lack of enthusiasm.
Yearbook
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:56 AM »

You should put the old theme on first so my heart stops hurting, then we'll figure out a new one. :P

Yay for not having the only head that is hurting!

mistymate says:  I'm all hot and sweaty and going to blame you.

Yearbook officer chats, "woot! i like drunk men"
Crispix officer chats, "so do I"
Mistymate
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2009, 12:35 PM »

So things look a bit different, but I hope everyone will be able to manage well enough for a few days.

One thing I wanted to point out is that access to your PMs is under "My Messages" on that menu bar underneath your avatar and news.  Fixed!

Thanks for your patience, mates.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009, 04:03 PM by Mistymate » Logged
Lazylubber
Captain

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2009, 12:45 PM »

Also another note: because one of the issues I encountered while upgrading was login related, I have, at least temporarily, left this board open to posts by anyone, even guests.  I have silly picture verification and all that jazz (and all posters will have to face a challenge on their first post, and each PM they send until 5 posts), but I implore you, if you see anything weird, hit the notify button!

I assume this applies only to total number of posts?  I didn't receive any challenge for my first post here on upgrade, presumably because of my extensive past forum-spamming  :D

Double purpose here--testing the edit function.  Also, I can't find where to add/remove people to my crew page list as before, though the rest of the moderator functions (sticky posts, etc.) seem to be present.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009, 12:56 PM by Lazylubber » Logged

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken
Mistymate
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2009, 01:06 PM »

Also, I can't find where to add/remove people to my crew page list as before, though the rest of the moderator functions (sticky posts, etc.) seem to be present.

Thanks! 
Please keep looking for these sorts of things.

Also, if you see any boards that you didn't see previously or don't see boards that you did, let us know.  We may have lost some permissions in the upgrade.
Events
Events Council

« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2009, 01:10 PM »

Test.
Annaleese
Visitor

« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2009, 01:18 PM »

I really dislike this theme. I feel like I am using a hospital interface.
Madanne
Royalty

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2009, 02:38 PM »

It seems to be like some of the fonts are very small. Perhaps that'll be "fixed" when you change the theme.

Tinyred says, "estrogen bote ftw"
Lazylubber
Captain

« Reply #14 on: Aug 11, 2009, 02:40 PM »

New layout is much improved--there are some very minor issues I discussed with Yearbook via IM relating to background and inconsistent colors on some buttons.  I would also like to request an update here when membership privilege admin functions have been restored--that way I'll be less tempted to keep hounding for updates  :D

Sniped by Madanne--fonts are small in the topic summary when typing responses, and in some of the peripherals like the news box--however, I don't see any problem with reading in the regular interface (except signatures which are also in mini-font)--the font also looks subtly different fwiw, I have no opinion on old vs. new regarding that.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009, 02:42 PM by Lazylubber » Logged

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply Print 
« previous next »