Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Mar 26, 2019, 07:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Please make sure your e-mail address is up to date. You will lose access to some of your groups if you have an e-mail address that creates server bounces.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  General Area
| |-+  Tips & Tricks (Moderator: Mistymate)
| | |-+  SF help, putting theory to practice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SF help, putting theory to practice  (Read 598 times)
scx
Fleet Officer

« on: Mar 04, 2010, 03:00 PM »

I'm starting to get irked that when I look at my page my SF standing seems to be glued to Able. I know I'm better than that so I started examining how I play, reading up on ypp forums how the game mechanics work in detail, and now I'm trying to improve my game (so to say, no pun intended). Like the title suggests, I'm taking what im learning into the game and seeing what I've learned from it. What I'm asking for is any of our better SFers either to offer pointers here on the forums or play a few rounds with me in-game critique how I'm playing. Thanks ahead of time :)

~Peace
Hahvahd
Senior Officer

« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2010, 03:29 PM »

What I did at first is focus on trying to make doubles. After a while of trying to make every break a double you notice that you are getting deeper combos without trying to, and that gives much better efficiency.

Once forming the combos is natural, then worry about things like avoiding oversends and sword placement.
Nomura
Senior Officer

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:52 PM »

You can go a very long way by just doing three things:

a) going fast
b) not wasting breakers (unnecessary animation slows you down and weak attacks will help your opponent build)
c) sending doubles on easy to build 2xX blocks, and going for any other combo opportunity you see

The classic double is something like this:

a
B
AA
AA
AA

Where the As represent a 2x3 and the B represents a random colour. Stack some random blocks atop the 'a' breaker to protect it and quickly hunt for a B breaker. There goes a 2x6 and some sprinkles. This can be extended outward in many ways. Building in line with your opponent's sprinkles helps to protect your combo too.

I typically use a falchion and do little but follow the above three principles... as more and more moves and patterns become intuitive (as opposed to needing to be consciously worked through) one becomes a more and more solid player.

Unusually serious, or seriously unusual? O_o
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »