Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2019, 03:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Don't forget to sign up with your pirate name so we know who you are!  If we can't figure out who you are, your account will be deleted.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  General Area
| |-+  The Mad Titan Inn (Moderator: Grimes)
| | |-+  Tourguides, company and location suggestions required.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tourguides, company and location suggestions required.  (Read 5986 times)
Rome
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2011, 02:16 AM »

It's dirt cheap to travel long distances on Greyhound, but it also is very uncomfortable if you get an old bus.  If you get a new bus it can be great.

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Xanth
Visitor

« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2011, 12:51 PM »

i'd def vote for Washington DC, like crispy and I have stated before its a great place to go and site see. If you come in the spring the cherry blossoms will be in bloom along the National Mall 'pool area' and they are a pretty site to see. many tourists come that around that time just to see them. I would def visit the Smithsonian and National Museums lots of artwork, science, and other things to do in walking distance. I always have fun walking around DC and seeing Museums. The Baltimore Aquarium is not that far from DC, and the National Zoo are other great places to go to. For the Baltimore Aquarium, you may want to get your tickets early because they are a bit expensive and its a time saver for the lines. if you dont, you'd have to wait a couple of hours to a full day to be able to get in. You can get them at www.aqua.org; sometimes, they have really great deals. If you ever want someone to go with you, i wont mind hoppin on the Metro to trek around DC/Baltimore area, just lemme know ahead of time. ^_^

Zingman says, "what can i say, i'm a horrible typist","and its worse when i try to type on the fly", "i.e. fast"
Desdamona says, "was wonderin bout ya typing on yer fly","kilts don't have flies"
Giobhniu says, "they have the skunk in the front. =p"
Zingman says, "an interesting observation", Desdamona says, "not going there Gio"; Desdamona laughs
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2011, 08:20 PM »

Do NOT go Greyhound unless you ABSOLUTELY have to.  I used them twice and both times were absolutely awful experiences.  I can give the whole story if necessary, but suffice it to say it wouldn't have been so bad if the customer service had been better.  Which it wasn't.  Anyway, if you're in the Midwest in March I may be able to play chauffeur if necessary.  That'd be fun times. :-)

Another thing to look at besides Amtrak is Megabus.  They have them in the UK too, but I've used them many times to go between Chicago and Milwaukee and I've always had great service and a pleasant trip.   http://us.megabus.com/ is the site.  They've really expanded since last time I looked at them.  And the prices are really reasonable if you can buy well in advance.  I used to go from Chicago to Milwaukee for $1.50 total. 

Arkhamrose says, "Tass is used to our rowdiness ^_^  She lubs us anyway."
Tacita says, "I like the rowdiness or I wouldn't be here."
Tlia says, "You would have to"
Tacita says, "I live vicariously through the perviness of others."
Kiff
Officer

« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2011, 09:32 PM »

Lovely lovely information. Thank you!

So far I'm still finalising my Florida itinerary and there seem to be trains where I need them. I've found a likely hotel in Deerfield Beach, just have to work out how to get from there (near the train station) to Quiet Waters Park. I think it's just a matter of changing buses at the corner, should be fairly simple. After that I need to have a look at Miami and see if I want to stay or just pass through. I need to look at transportation in New Orleans too. After that my south east section is done and I fly up to Boston. Haven't planned beyond that at the moment. I'm planning in chronological, and more or less priority order in case the money runs out.
 :heart
Rome
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2011, 11:05 PM »

Does Florida have affordable shuttles throughout the state?

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Kiff
Officer

« Reply #20 on: Apr 14, 2011, 10:45 PM »

Amtrak takes 4-7 hours from Orlando to Deerfield Beach for $34, Tri Rail from Deerfield Beach to Miami is only 1 hour and  $6.
Daedalus
Royalty

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2011, 03:47 PM »

If you come to New Haven, CT I can give you a tour of a well-known university.  :-)

Daedalus
Captain of The Cartographers
Prince of Crimson Tide
Lazylubber says, "think you can drive something this small?"
Sassafras
Senior Officer

« Reply #22 on: Apr 15, 2011, 06:32 PM »

This is a bit late and you've probably already planned most of your trip, but should you find yourself in DC or New York, there's a bus that goes between the two called the BOLT bus, and it goes from one end of the DC metro system to one end of NY's and it's 16 bucks.  Supposedly has good seating, free wi-fi etc.  If you need more details, PM me or something and I'll get you actual links and info.

~Sass
Kiff
Officer

« Reply #23 on: Apr 15, 2011, 09:49 PM »

It's not too late, I haven't booked anything!
Disney and the airlines wont show me the dates that I want yet.
Plus, I'm feeling a little like my brain is leaking out my ears with all the US info and planning. I haven't really looked at it in the last couple of days since I've been back at work (I was off sick for a week, that's how I could be on here so much.). I think I'll take a break this week and get back into it over the Easter 4 day weekend.

I haven't looked further west than Chicago at the moment.
I would like to see Seattle etc., even if that is getting into vampire country :P.
South Dakota is on the list. So is Las Vegas. I have no interest in gambling, I just want to see the lights and the buildings and a show.
I am vaguely considering rearranging everything so that I can see The Lion King somewhere. I would love to see Wicked again, however as I have seen it 3 times already I wont be crushed if I miss it.
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2011, 06:43 PM »

Yes, Chicago!  I can come down and be a tour guide if you'd like.  :-D

On a side note, the Lion King is a pretty amazing show and I would highly recommend it.

Confess
Royalty

« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2011, 01:49 PM »

If you're wanting to do Seattle, Tinyred and I might be able to shoot over there, it's about 3 hours from where we live.  That's considered close in this part of the country.  There are no vampires that I know of.  If you want to tour Bella's house and the school from the Twilight movie, they're down in Portland, Oregon I think.

If you want Seattle info PM me.

How strange it is to be anything at all.
gummyworm
Royalty

« Reply #26 on: Apr 19, 2011, 04:15 PM »

I would highly recommend Seattle, love that place. 

Las Vegas is fun, but 2 days should be more than enough if you aren't into gambling (same here).  If you don't like cigarette smoke, I suggest staying in one of the newer/nicer hotels on the main strip and forgoing the older part of town.  Although the old strip is great for all things fried...like fried snickers, etc...

Tawnee is proud to be a drama queen!
Kiff
Officer

« Reply #27 on: Apr 20, 2011, 07:25 AM »

Oh my gosh! Food!

Pie and fried stuff!

What is everyone's favourite pie and where is the best place to get it? (not apple, we have apple)

What strange things do you eat fried?

p.s. Where do I get out of season Thanksgiving treats?
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #28 on: Apr 20, 2011, 10:38 AM »

My grandma makes amazing pies.  Mincemeat, pumpkin, cherry, apple, chocolate...mmmm.  I think Iowa is a bit off your radar though and probably should be.  I love it there because it's homey to me (it's where Dad's from) but there isn't much to do.

As for strange fried things, I've seen fried mac and cheese (which is amazing, btw), pickles (so yummers), snickers, twinkies...Some pretty weird stuff.

As for out of season thanksgiving treats, I would think it would be doable. I've seen restaurants that offer similar, or else you could find someone to make a thanksgiving in February for you.  I for one would not be opposed to extra Thanksgiving food!  Could even dig up a tape of football to make it even more like Thanksgiving, lol.

Tass

Lazylubber
Captain

« Reply #29 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:07 PM »

You must have pecan pie, preferably from an old mom and pop bakery in the South or someone's 80-year old grandmother, but in a pinch anywhere it is made from scratch will do.  Even the store-bought ones can be good, but you'd be cheating yourself.

It is possible to find deep-fried Coca-Cola and deep fried beer in some places--I've had neither, but I've heard the Coke one is quite good.  Almost anything you can imagine has been fried by someone at some point.  Another good fried dish is southern fried chicken (also called chicken fried chicken in some places), which is a fried chicken filet with sawmill gravy (white, creamy gravy) on top, usually served with grits or hash browns.  There's also the traditional southern breakfast, which includes eggs, grits, biscuits, sausage gravy, and some sort of breakfast meat--terribly unhealthy and terribly delicious!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »