Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2019, 02:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Don't forget to sign up with your pirate name so we know who you are!  If we can't figure out who you are, your account will be deleted.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  General Area
| |-+  The Mad Titan Inn (Moderator: Grimes)
| | |-+  Tourguides, company and location suggestions required.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tourguides, company and location suggestions required.  (Read 5985 times)
Rome
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:22 PM »

Knotts Berry Farm's chicken place used to have awesome pies but I hear they aren't as good anymore.

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
gummyworm
Royalty

« Reply #31 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:34 PM »

If you want the pie and Thanksgiving dinner thing in SoCal...I'd recommend Polly's Pies.

I love their pies, and the banberry is delish!  ANNNNNDDDD they do year round Thanksgiving dinners.  For dinner they have: Traditional Roasted Turkey Dinner: Foster FarmsŪ oven roasted turkey breast. Served with Yukon Gold "skin-on" smashed potatoes, gravy, & creamed spinach. Plus, Ms. Polly's "homestyle" stuffing and garnished with cranberry sauce.

http://www.pollyspies.com/pollys-pies-dessert-menu.php

Tawnee is proud to be a drama queen!
Kiff
Officer

« Reply #32 on: Apr 21, 2011, 03:25 AM »

That sounds fantastic! One thing though, not to sound ungrateful or greedy, you didn't mention marshmallows. I've heard that some people do wicked things with marshmallows?
 :heart
Kiff
Officer

« Reply #33 on: Apr 21, 2011, 03:31 AM »

Also, what is grits?
 :heart
gummyworm
Royalty

« Reply #34 on: Apr 21, 2011, 03:48 AM »

hmmm... The only thing that I can think of with marshmallows for Thanksgiving is that they put it on top of sweet potatoes. It's good, but I'm not sure of where to get that, it's just a certain way of making that common side dish.

Grits are typically a southern food, commonly eaten with breakfast.  I'm not a fan.  Basically it's ground up corn and made into a type of thick porridge.  Then you add things like sugar, butter, cheese or whatever to them.  It has been described as something similar to, and somewhere in between Polenta, and Farina/Cream of wheat.

As you seem to be interested in classic American food, I can recommend a couple burger places to nosh at in Southern California.

Tommy's Burgers (http://www.originaltommys.com/) This is a Southern California Classic for Chili burgers and chili cheese fries. I've totally been craving them in this pregnancy, and they aren't up here in the North, and that makes me sad =(.

In-n-Out (http://www.in-n-out.com/default.asp) Another Southern California Classic but there are more of them throughout California, Arizona, and Nevada (and a few in Utah and Texas).  Great burgers, fries and shakes. 

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011, 03:55 AM by gummyworm » Logged

Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #35 on: Apr 21, 2011, 10:32 AM »

Grits are pretty darn gross.  But I don't like oatmeal either.  Now, corn fritters on the other hand?  SO tasty.  Especially with a bit of maple syrup.

Arkhamrose says, "Tass is used to our rowdiness ^_^  She lubs us anyway."
Tacita says, "I like the rowdiness or I wouldn't be here."
Tlia says, "You would have to"
Tacita says, "I live vicariously through the perviness of others."
Fannon
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: Apr 22, 2011, 07:09 PM »

If you desire strange fried foods, you'll have to make a special trip to the State Fair of Texas in late September/October. It's one of the main attractions for a lot of people. They fried butter this past year but normally do at least a dozen or so different items.

Yes, I am incredibly helpful.

Shuranthae says, "I swear, if only there were the crew title "Slave Driver."

Shuranthae says, "Yeah, that's what I'd expect from a Wynd. Our bloodthirstyness is only matched by our laziness and lack of enthusiasm.
Rome
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: Apr 23, 2011, 12:45 AM »

Man I forgot how much I miss Tommys.  We have In N Out thankfully but I doubt Tommys ever makes it out here.

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Yearbook
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: Apr 23, 2011, 01:08 PM »

Cracker Barrel is a chain that has decent traditional homecooked meals that might be worth checking out once. 

Grits are gross but everyone likes different things. 

mistymate says:  I'm all hot and sweaty and going to blame you.

Yearbook officer chats, "woot! i like drunk men"
Crispix officer chats, "so do I"
gummyworm
Royalty

« Reply #39 on: Apr 23, 2011, 04:11 PM »

Oh Man!! Cracker Barrel is awesome!!!!  They don't have them in California (I've actually contacted corporate and asked when they would be opening one, and they said that they have no plans, as they feel the food is too unhealthy for the California market.  Pfttt!!!  And who invented the fast food drive thru?) and I will stop at any one that I come across during trips.  They also have a great "country store" attached to the restaurants that offer fun stuff that would make fun gifts to friends back home.

Kiff
Officer

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2011, 07:23 AM »

I asked myself "how much do I want to see Mardi Gras, that being the factor deciding my travel dates?" I haven't come up with and answer yet and so I am stuck.
Lazylubber
Captain

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2011, 04:08 PM »

The French Quarter in New Orleans is pretty much a never-ending party year-round--it's just extra crazy during Mardi Gras.  I was there a few years ago in the middle of May and even on weeknights there were people drinking, dancing and partying in the streets for hours after midnight.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken
Kiff
Officer

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 08:01 PM »

I'm not interested in the drinking etc. so much as the parades and throws and family friendly aspects.
Yearbook
Administrator

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2011, 08:48 PM »

New Orleans on Mardi Gras isn't a family friendly event.  There will be a ton of drunk parade watchers + women bearing their breasts + other stuff. 

The closest thing I know of that is a family friendly Mardi Gras experience is the party/concerts Universal Orlando throws from Feb to April. 

mistymate says:  I'm all hot and sweaty and going to blame you.

Yearbook officer chats, "woot! i like drunk men"
Crispix officer chats, "so do I"
Kiff
Officer

« Reply #44 on: Jul 27, 2011, 09:47 PM »

Still not booked yet, but looks like it's getting close.  :D
Does it look like I've left enough time everywhere?

March 16 - Boston
March 19 - New York
March 24 - Philadelphia
March 26 - Washington
March 30 - Orlando (Disneyworld)
April 8   - Orlando (Universal)
April 12 - New Orleans
April 15 - Deadwood
April 18 - Rapid City
April 19 - Flagstaff
April 22 - Las Vegas
April 26 - Los Angeles