Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Mar 26, 2019, 06:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Don't forget to sign up with your pirate name so we know who you are!  If we can't figure out who you are, your account will be deleted.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  General Area
| |-+  Tips & Tricks (Moderator: Mistymate)
| | |-+  The N00b guide to: Flotilla's, Cursed Isles, Haunted Seas, and Sea Monster Hunts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The N00b guide to: Flotilla's, Cursed Isles, Haunted Seas, and Sea Monster Hunts  (Read 698 times)
Xanth
Visitor

« on: May 13, 2011, 06:46 PM »

*DON'T PANIC*

So Foelster and I have done a couple Cursed Isle (CI) maps together, him leading and me as his MAA, and have lost two shippies in the process. This stirred up a few questions that I thought that other pirates might have as well. I am hoping to gather enough information to be able to type up a 'guide' to be able to help the future voyages go smoother. So please post as much as you know about these maps and ask as many questions as ye like. I will start out with a few of my own:

-> When to volunteer?
-> When to fray?
----> Who should be fraying?
-> When to Treasure Haul?
-> How to be a good MAA?
-> How to make the tokens count?

::love

Zingman says, "what can i say, i'm a horrible typist","and its worse when i try to type on the fly", "i.e. fast"
Desdamona says, "was wonderin bout ya typing on yer fly","kilts don't have flies"
Giobhniu says, "they have the skunk in the front. =p"
Zingman says, "an interesting observation", Desdamona says, "not going there Gio"; Desdamona laughs
Vistr
Senior Officer

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 07:08 PM »

OK....

For CI:  *Don't fray or defend.  Try to avoid getting swarmed too badly, and use tokens to clear zombies.  You likewise shouldn't need an MAA (though you could do a cutter with an extra person, most people do sloops).

If you're playing for thralls, station 2/2/2... if you're just doing an in and out, three sailors.

If thralling (with good puzzlers) you want to take on zombies and use the gold thralling token to take them as thralls.  If your puzzlers can't get you at least one gold thralling token between breaks, you really shouldn't thrall.  Otherwise you should use the token as soon as you have the token and boarders to enthrall with it; excess tokens are wasted until you've used that token and start on the next one.

In terms of survival... have someone that can get at least excellent sails/rigs in a hurry and you should be OK.  Slow starts coming out of the isle are the most common sink cause for me.

Also: remember my sloopback guarantee!  Applies to all pirates in the flag (whose name doesn't rhyme with Beerhook)... 
Lazylubber
Captain

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:32 PM »

Vistr hit most of the high points already--I was probably the second person in flag to start running CIs when they first came out, so I lost more than a few sloops in the waters there learning things the hard way.

The thing that I find most helpful is making sure I know my route in AND out as soon as I enter the board.  Hugging the walls isn't the surefire survival strategy it once was, but you're usually better off doing that than cruising down the middle of the board.  I generally try not to use the soft walls, but if that's the most direct route in or out I will use them.

Also, try to time your moves so that you enter the isle on the third or fourth move of the turn--if you go in the first move, lots of times the cultist ships will pound you for the rest of the turn, building up damage you can't do a thing about until you exit and that will slow you considerably.

Third, being shot by a cultist ship is bad, ramming one is usually worse--they tend to be very good at predicting your moves, and will continue to block your escape once you hit one.

Fourth, know when to quit--if you don't have good swordfighters or thralls, don't expect to win the 2nd swordfight, and they will steal back almost all your bigger chests.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken
Rome
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 05:04 AM »

I've found in CI that fighting the thralls on the way out can mean the difference between sinking or not if you don't have an easy way out, but maybe that's just me.

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »