Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2019, 11:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Please make sure your e-mail address is up to date. You will lose access to some of your groups if you have an e-mail address that creates server bounces.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  General Area
| |-+  The Mad Titan Inn (Moderator: Grimes)
| | |-+  Board and Card games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Board and Card games  (Read 863 times)
Jainasolo
Visitor

« on: Jul 07, 2012, 07:10 PM »

V, Dolgan and I were chattering away about different games we enjoy playing, and I thought it might be nice to start a thread where we could share different games. I know I'm always looking for a new board or card game to play with my family.

One of my Suggestions:

Fluxx: I have the Pirate and the Monty Pythonversions of this card game. The basic rules are simple, but change as the game progresses. Its very easy to learn, and there are so many different ways of winning, you never know when the game will end. Heaven forbid, but I actually prefer the Monty Python version.

Fannon
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2012, 07:47 PM »

I'm a fan of games! :D

Mistymate has Bezzerwizzer, and we've had a lot of fun playing it. It's trivia, but lets you switch out categories and steal points and such, and I tend to do much better at it than at trivial pursuit.

Shuranthae says, "I swear, if only there were the crew title "Slave Driver."

Shuranthae says, "Yeah, that's what I'd expect from a Wynd. Our bloodthirstyness is only matched by our laziness and lack of enthusiasm.
Jainasolo
Visitor

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2012, 08:37 PM »

Oooh, I have that game too (though its the British version) and it is fun. The added strategy is interesting.

Scattergories is another game I think every gaming group/family should have. Its easy enough kids can play it with some extra time, but makes you really think. Especially when my family tries for answers with 3 or more words *laughs*
Yearbook
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2012, 01:40 AM »

Cards Against Humanity. http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/
Its like Apples to Apples but um for bad people

I'm not a good person. 

mistymate says:  I'm all hot and sweaty and going to blame you.

Yearbook officer chats, "woot! i like drunk men"
Crispix officer chats, "so do I"
Vistr
Senior Officer

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2012, 01:57 AM »

Recently played:  Munchkin (regular, Bites, Fu, Zombies, and Axe Cop versions); Zombie Fluxx; Risk; Talisman (4th ed), Arkham Horror; Game of Thrones; Red Dragon Inn.

Ones I own include Civilization (the latest version), Munchkin Quest

The Munchkin stuff is from former CTer Steve Jackson.  Talisman, Arkham, Civ, and Game of Thrones are from Fantasy Flight games.

What I'd recommend depends on your group and amount of time.

For example:  Arkham Horror (which is based on the Lovecraft/Cthulhu Mythos stories) is semi-complicated, but is a pure PvE board game --- all the players are playing as a team against the board to try and prevent the world from destabilizing enough that an ancient Thing Man Was Not Meant To Know would come through and enter our reality.  For a group of mixed skills, that can be handy... because there's a direct incentive for the more skilled/lucky players to help a player that makes mistakes (or has bad luck early) catch up and get back into things.

For another example: Diplomacy is a very good game... but because precisely timed backstabbing is the most frequent path to victory, may not be appropriate for groups where some people will take that badly.

One thing I've found handy is some Youtube video reviews of games (such as from Starlit Citadel), where the reviews give an overview of play.... that helps judge the nature of play, the amount of setup, etc.

http://www.starlitcitadel.com/helm/category/reviews/

Rome
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2012, 12:21 PM »

I really want to give cards against humanity a try someday.

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Tacita
Senior Officer

« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2012, 01:02 PM »

I love Fluxx and Munchkin (and totally didn't know Steve Jackson was a former CTer, kind of awesome), but I think my favorite board game right now is probably Quelf because it's so hilariously random.  Any game that gets my almost ninety year old Irish Catholic Iowan grandmother finishing every sentence with "and the people of the Lord say AMEN!" is awesome in my book.  There are five categories of cards (Stuntz, Showbiz, Quizzle, Scatterbrainz, and Rulez) which make you complete different tasks, answer random trivia questions, or do various other excessively random things.  For instance, when I played with my dad once he had to make a snorkle out of common household items and wear it the rest of the game.  It's hilarious.

I also got a game called Smart Ass for our wedding which is awesome, though it's impossible to play with two people and it's better to play with groups of four or more. One person rolls a dice and picks a "Where am I?" "What am I" or "Who am I?" card.  The cards each have ten hints on the back and the object of the game is to be the first person to yell out who, what, or where the thing is.  They then get to roll and move their piece forward.  It's pretty fun.

My husband's favorite is called Robo Rally, but I refuse to play it after the first time because it is a very bad game to play if you're left-right dyslexic.  You have a little robot and you get directional cards and have to move it around the board and capture flags while moving around conveyor belts and pits and other players, who can shoot you or push you sometimes.  I hated it because I can't visualize turns, so I'd literally have to go step by step through in my head before I could make a move.  Made my head hurt.  But he and his friends love it; they played a single game for almost six hours at his birthday party a few weeks ago.  But they had an awesome time at it. 

Arkhamrose says, "Tass is used to our rowdiness ^_^  She lubs us anyway."
Tacita says, "I like the rowdiness or I wouldn't be here."
Tlia says, "You would have to"
Tacita says, "I live vicariously through the perviness of others."
Crispix
Senior Officer

« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2012, 05:28 PM »

Cards Against Humanity. http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/
Its like Apples to Apples but um for bad people

I'm not a good person.

Cards Against Humanity is the greatest game ever made.  My family has a pretty twisted sense of humor and it showed when we played Apples to Apples (the Anne Frank card got played a lot in hilarious ways) so this game was perfect for us.
Fannon
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2012, 05:54 PM »

I also got a game called Smart Ass for our wedding which is awesome, though it's impossible to play with two people and it's better to play with groups of four or more. One person rolls a dice and picks a "Where am I?" "What am I" or "Who am I?" card.  The cards each have ten hints on the back and the object of the game is to be the first person to yell out who, what, or where the thing is.  They then get to roll and move their piece forward.  It's pretty fun.

I have this as well, and agree that it is best suited to large groups. It's possible to play with a few but incredibly incredibly boring. We played with a group of 9 and it was pretty entertaining. (I think it only comes with like 7 or 8 player pieces, but you can quite easily come up with a few more of your own as it doesn't require anything else specific, just the movement token).

Another game we played that was a lot of fun is Wits & Wagers. It involves a ton of guessing as well as a betting component. It can be slow the first time you play and later it can feel the game goes a little too quickly as it's only 7 questions, but it never failed to be entertaining.

Shuranthae says, "I swear, if only there were the crew title "Slave Driver."

Shuranthae says, "Yeah, that's what I'd expect from a Wynd. Our bloodthirstyness is only matched by our laziness and lack of enthusiasm.
Jainasolo
Visitor

« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2012, 08:56 PM »

Sounds like I need to get cards against humanity, however it appears its not sold in the UK, unless I want to pay an idiotic price . Might be a while before I acquire this one.
Rome
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2012, 03:12 AM »

On their website they have the tools for you to make Cards of Humanity for free if you have a printer.

"It will always happen that he who is not your ally will urge neturality upon you, while he who is your ally will urge you to take sides."
Mistymate
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2012, 10:40 PM »

Apparently I need to watch out for Fannon stealing my games.  ;-)

A nice two player game we've enjoyed is Lost Cities.  It's fast paced and the artwork's lovely.
Bisquick
Captain

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2012, 10:26 PM »

Thanks to my ex-bf, I'm also part of the Munchkin train.  Actually bought myself my own set this past winter.  Alas, it has not seen nearly enough action :\  But that's pretty cool trivia to learn about Steve Jackson.

I currently have one game on my must-buy list, which is Bananagrams!  Probably because I love Scrabble, and this is like a more portable and action-packed relative.

Another one I found fairly entertaining was The Game of Real Life.  My understanding is that it's a less fluffy spin off of The Game of Life (which I've never actually played).  As you might guess, the Game of Real Life is targeted for more mature audiences.

Rome
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2012, 01:30 AM »

I'm enjoying the heck out of the iOS version of Ticket to Ride.  Anyone playing that?

Caryn
Fleet Officer

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2012, 02:16 AM »

Cards Against Humanity is the greatest game ever made.  My family has a pretty twisted sense of humor and it showed when we played Apples to Apples (the Anne Frank card got played a lot in hilarious ways) so this game was perfect for us.
When I played Apples to Apples with my housemates senior year of college, we essentially played the game as Cards Against Humanity...but before the game even existed.  And it never mattered if others were more appropriate; Hitler or Helen Keller always won.  Outside of those, we knew each person's sense of humor and knew what cards to play to each judge.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »