Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Mar 23, 2019, 10:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Don't forget to sign up with your pirate name so we know who you are!  If we can't figure out who you are, your account will be deleted.
* Home Help Login Register
+  Crimson Tide Board
|-+  Friends and Allies Area
| |-+  Pirates in Prayer (Moderators: NutMeg, Michelob, Matahari)
| | |-+  Recomendations Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recomendations Thread  (Read 1379 times)
Matahari

« on: May 02, 2005, 11:04 PM »

:!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:

If you have books, music, websites, places... anything to recommend, this be the place to do it.

At the first meeting, Mich brought up the Christian band Mercy Me. I went to the website, I heard, I liked. I bought two of their CDs today. Heard the first: LOVE IT. So I totally recommend this band, tho I think I was the last one to hear about it? :roll:
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2005, 07:28 PM by Angie » Logged

"My desire for companionship outweighs my disgust for picking up [poop]."
        ~a comedian on the radio
Thepcmom
Fleet Officer

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 11:52 PM »

I really love Rebbeca St James. She is not excatly Mercy Me, but the first woman artist that helped lead me to God. And anyone that is in the Texas DFW area, she will be playing @ South Fork Ranch for July 4th weekend, for free.  

OH and visit my churches website... you can even view our sermons from sunday, and learn how to get connected, if you want. http://www.pantego.org/

Ask me something Intersting!
Scylira
Fleet Officer

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 01:27 AM »

I like this website, in case you ever have the inclination to read the bible online: Bible

Quote from: Cleaver
Crashing the game with your giant rack just isn't a good gaming experience for anyone.
Zyborg
Senior Officer

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 07:26 PM »

Preachers:
D. James Kennedy - Preaches on biblical topics as well as political topics.
John Hagee - I don't know what to say, except that I like him.

Books:
The Ten Offenses - About The Ten Commandments, basically.
Shadow of the Apocalypse: When All heck Breaks Loose - A good book about the end times and bible codes.
Courting Disaster: How the Supreme Court is Usurping the Power of Congress and the People - The title is all the description you need.
The Purpose-Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For? - It's about finding your purpose in life.

Organizations and Websites:
Reclaiming America For Christ - One of my favorite Christ-based websites. It aims to reinstate morals back into the country.

Zyborg - The avatar was done by Blondielass. The red eye, hook, and mirroring was done by me.
Senior Officer of the crew The Legends
uzi
Visitor

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 10:57 PM »

Oops I started a thread before I saw this one.
I will go delete my thread.  I will try to post in here.
Sorry all.

Does anyone shop Sounds and Spirit for music?  They are a part of BMG or BMI music.  They have great offers, pretty fast shipping....lots and lots of specials.  They are good about returns too.
https://www.bmgmusic.com/index.jhtml

Third Day is good, http://www.bmgmusic.com/catalog/browse/artist.jhtml?partyId=12875

Skillet rocks, http://www.bmgmusic.com/catalog/product/cd_detail.jhtml?productId=3923

There are others, too.

More later,

uzi

Who would have ever thought?
Honest, I really do sell Lollipops!
uzi
Visitor

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 11:00 PM »

Ok I copied that post.  No sense in having a useless thread opened....there is that useless thread thing.

Hi,
Here is one of my favorite places to have a quick Bible study or to look for that verse when I can only remember one or two words.

Blue Letter Bible

I have a few other places where I go when I need encouragement.

I will post them later.......

I am gonna be soooo late for work. eeks.

uzi

Ooops now I lost the link.......drat.....I will get it later.......sorry.

Who would have ever thought?
Honest, I really do sell Lollipops!
Matahari

« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2005, 11:45 PM »

I really like Casting Crowns. I googled for them but could not find their official website. But I found some sites that had some sample of their music. Lotsa fun. :)
-kel

"My desire for companionship outweighs my disgust for picking up [poop]."
        ~a comedian on the radio
NutMeg

« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2005, 11:31 PM »

Quote from: uzi
Ok I copied that post.  No sense in having a useless thread opened....there is that useless thread thing.

Hi,
Here is one of my favorite places to have a quick Bible study or to look for that verse when I can only remember one or two words.

Blue Letter Bible

I have a few other places where I go when I need encouragement.

I will post them later.......

I am gonna be soooo late for work. eeks.

uzi

Ooops now I lost the link.......drat.....I will get it later.......sorry.

I also love Bible Gateway.  I love that there are numerous translations available on the site to give you that many ways of reading a verse, story, etc.

~Nutmeg

Author of the inappropriate, yet wildly popular "Blondie-atar Wanted" thread.  Thanks for the Blondie-atar!

Elizabeta
Ally

« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2005, 01:30 PM »

Both Barlow Girls and Superchic[k] are WONDERFUL bands. They are really geared towards a younger generation. Superchic(k) is ... I would think, jr high and high school. Barlow Girl spans Jr High all the way into college. Their music is fantastic, the message they send across is a very positive one. They are both very Christian but do NOT come across sounding like they are preaching at kids.

Superchicks song Hero is incredibly powerful!

http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/cdreviews/LastOnePicked.asp

This is a link to a review of one of their albums. You can also hear a few samples of the music.
If you ever wonder what to get a teenager cause they are just so hard to figure out... get them a Superchick CD. It's ROCK music but you will totally be able to live with the lyrics if not the music.
Michelob

« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2005, 07:18 PM »

I have one album each from Barlow Girl (self-titled) and Superchic[k] (Beauty From Pain).  The Barlow Girl album was a total impulse buy, because I was impressed by their first radio single "Never Alone", whose message of the assurance of God's presence even when He feels far away, transcended both sex and age lines.  However, I was disappointed because, as mentioned, the rest of the album had a message primarily for teenage girls.  Most of the album I haven't listened to again since the day I bought it, and if I can ever remember to bring it with me, I keep planning on anonymously donating it to my church's youth group. ;)

Superchic[k], despite the name, is not just a "chick" band, and is made up of both boys and girls, who feature their various talents in the different tracks.  The band is fairly multi-dimensioned in their sound although always quite "pop"-ish, from punk-pop ("Anthem"), pensive ("Beauty From Pain"), pop-rap ("Pure", "We Live"), and soulful R&B-pop ("Stories (Rock Bottom)").  Some of the tracks are definitely focused on teenage/young adult girls ("Anthem", "Bowling Ball") while many can appeal to people of other demigraphic groups as well.

(Edit:  I am writing this as a 27-year-old male, unmarried, no children.  Opinions may vary from others in different situations.)

Another Christian rock group that is starting to make some inroads on mainstream radio and music television is Canton, Ohio-based punk-pop band Reliant K.  I don't own any of their albums, so most of what I know of them comes from the young-adult-focused Christian radio station I listen to.  Their latest radio single "Who I Am Hates Who I've Been", as the title suggests, tells a vague tale of repentance and the strong desire to not return to the old ways that Christ has saved them from.  It does this without getting into the details of the past sin ("but I will shy away from the specifics / ... / or then you'd see my heart in the saddest state it's ever been") but does claim personal responsibility ("stop right there -- that's exactly where I lost it / see that line? well, I never should have crossed it").  However, their lyrics remain spiritually vague if not suggestive, rarely if ever mentioning God or Jesus by name -- perhaps one reason for their mainstream success.  Nonetheless, many of their songs, by simply filling in the blanks, can serve as meaningful witness tools.  On a side note, they also are known for their wit (biting at times), such as the name of one of their albums, "Two Lefts Don't Make a Right -- But Three Do".
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2005, 07:20 PM by Michelob » Logged

*hic* Hide the rum!  The boozer's back in town!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »